Benefits of squats:
- Focuses on legs and glutes
- Can tone entire body
- Improves balance
- Builds muscle
Here's my favorite squat routine:
Squat + Leg Raise: Perform a basic, bodyweight squat with feet about hip-width apart. After one squat, raise your right leg to the side. Perform another squat, then raise your left leg to the side.
Plie Squat: Perform this squat with your feet about hip-width apart and your toes pointed out.
Squat + Calf Raise: Perform a basic, bodyweight squat with feet about hip-width apart. Before raising from your squat, perform a calf raise, then rise from your squat. (It helps to hold onto a chair or railing for balance when doing these!)
Sumo Squat: Spread your feet out as far as comfortable to perform these squats.
If you really want a challenge, hold some weights while you perform these.
Remember these tips for proper form:
- Stand with your shoulders back, chest out, and back straight
- Place your hands in front of you, on your hips, behind your head, or wherever is most comfortable
- Lower your butt like you are going to sit in a chair to transition to the squat
- As you lower, try to make sure your knees do not extend past your feet
- Keep the rest of your body tight as you perform the squat - this will help tone the rest of your body
Hope you enjoy this workout!
What is your favorite squat variation? Let me know in the comments! :)